Friday, March 26, 2010

XenServer install: Monitor the RAID controller

When you install hardware RAID controllers, you do not have a monitoring feature like mdadm that can monitor your controller. monitoring is crucial to make sure your server is up and running. No need to have RAID if you do not know when you loose a drive. The Promise EX8350 was a bit challenging to get good monitoring, but after alot of googling I found a solution. You need the CLI tool from Promise. this I downloaded here: http://www.promise.com/upload/Support/Utility/2.5.0-25_64bitCLI.rar
I downloaded the file and copied the rpmfile over to the XenServer using scp.
then installed it:
rpm -i i2cli-2.5.0-25.i386.rpm

This installs a CLI command that you can use to view, modify your controller.

I reconfigured the ssmpt.conf file to a working config for me (this is the outgoing mailserver on the XenServer, so it is able to send email out).
Then I created a small Bash script.
NOTE! This is not optimized at ALL. Just meshed it together and saw that it worked :-) Please fork the gist and update it if you improve it. Use it at own risk. I recommend testing everything before you start adding data and servers on the system.

You can see the file here: http://gist.github.com/344939

I added the file to crontab: (crontab -e)
*/30 * * * * /usr/sbin/check_raid.sh

Now you will receive emails every 30 minutes for as long as the RAID is degraded (one of the RAIDS)

In the next blog I will show you how I added the other RAIDS as Server Repositories, because you can not add these from the admin tool, it must be done from console.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot! I also have that RAID card and was thinking about how I will know when a disk breaks.. Very nice! /John

    ReplyDelete